Pongadalu is a traditional dish in Andhra Pradesh, prepared during Sankranthi/Pongal.
- Rice – 500 grams
- Jaggery – 500 grams
- Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Elaichi – for taste
- Oil for frying
- Soak rice for 12 hours and then make it to a flour.
- boil jaggery until it becomes thick syrup and mix the rice flour in it.
- mix the above 2 two nicely.
- pour coconut milk in the above paste and prepare like dosa batter.
- now, pour oil in a kadai and pour the paste in it using a scoop.
- allow them to fry for sometime.
- yummy traditional pongadalu is ready.
- this is similar to neyyappam, udiyappam made in Kerala.
In South India, a no moon day in October is followed as – -Polala Amavasya, dedicated to Goddess Poleramma who, it is believed, saves people from all kinds of pox diseases. On that day, besides other offerings, a kind of soup of all vegetables is offered to the Goddess which, in local language, is called –Kalagaaya Pulusu –, meaning soup of all vegetables.
- All available vegetables like brinjal, bottle guard, ladies finger, radish, ridge gourd,tomato, colacasia etc
- Tamarind – 100 grams
- Sugar – 100 grams
- Salt – as required
- Tadka ( How to prepare Tadka (పోపు) )
- Green Chillis
- Regular spices like clove etc.
- wash all vegetables and cut into big pieces.
- take all spices and make it to powder.
- now, take a big vessel and start cooking in it. first add oil and add onions and saute them nicely. add curry leaves, turmeric, green chillis at this stage.
- add all vegetable pieces and mix nicely, add water for soup and mix salt, tamarind juice, sugar and let them cook for 30-45 minutes.
- cook until the vegetables becomes well cooked.
- stop cooking and serve hot !!
This recipe is known with multiple names, like Ivy Gourd Gravy/Tindora Ka Salan/Dondakaya Gravy/Kovaikai Kuzhambu.
- Dondakaya/Tindora– 250 grams
- Ginger – small piece
- Garlic – few
- Onion – 2 or 3
- Tomato – 2 or 3
- Salt – as required
- Turmeric Powder- as required
- Chilli Powder- as required
- Ground Nuts – 50 grams
- Dry roast ground nuts in a pan and make it to powder using mixer grinder.
- Cut ginger, garlic,onions and tomato into small pieces and put in a mixer grinder and make it to a paste.
- add ground powder, Salt, Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder to the above paste.
- now, make cuts to the dondakaya and insert this paste inside those cuts.
- Now, add oil to pan and prepare tadka.
- now, add stuffed dondakaya to the oil and let them cook in sim for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add water for gravy let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Yummy dondakaya gravy curry is ready 🙂