This recipe is known with multiple names, like Ivy Gourd Gravy/Tindora Ka Salan/Dondakaya Gravy/Kovaikai Kuzhambu.
- Dondakaya/Tindora– 250 grams
- Ginger – small piece
- Garlic – few
- Onion – 2 or 3
- Tomato – 2 or 3
- Salt – as required
- Turmeric Powder- as required
- Chilli Powder- as required
- Ground Nuts – 50 grams
- Dry roast ground nuts in a pan and make it to powder using mixer grinder.
- Cut ginger, garlic,onions and tomato into small pieces and put in a mixer grinder and make it to a paste.
- add ground powder, Salt, Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder to the above paste.
- now, make cuts to the dondakaya and insert this paste inside those cuts.
- Now, add oil to pan and prepare tadka.
- now, add stuffed dondakaya to the oil and let them cook in sim for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add water for gravy let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Yummy dondakaya gravy curry is ready 🙂
Various spices are fried in oil and mixed with recipes, to give a traditional authentic Indian flavor.
The kind of spices added changes with the recipe, but the process is same.
It is known as popu in Andhra Pradesh, India.
- take oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom,cinnamon,cloves, yellow lentils, green gram, red chilli.
- allow them to pop and turn a bit brownish/roast.
- be careful, not to burn them.
- The entire tadka making process completes in less than a minute.
- if you’re making biryani, you can add bay leaf(biryani leaf ), mace, fennel seeds etc, in addition.
Spices names in English and their Telugu Words :
||Japathri, Jajikaya Pathri
|Dried Kapok buds