Ragi or Finger Millet is a rich source of Calcium, Iron, Protein, Fiber and other minerals and is a gluten-free food. The cereal has low fat content and contains mainly unsaturated fat. It is easy to digest and does not contain gluten; people who are sensitive to gluten can easily consume Finger Millet. It is considered one of the most nutritious cereals.
Due to rich fibre content, Finger Millet is believed to be a good laxative and prevents constipation. People who suffer from liver diseases, high-blood pressure, heart weaknesses and asthma should consume roasted green finger millet. The millet is also advised to a lactating mother if she is unable to produce sufficient milk to feed her infant. Finger millet is considered to be a boon for diabetes patients and obese people, as the digestion of finger Millet takes place at a slow pace and hence, glucose is released slowly into the blood. Also, Millet contains an amino acid known as Typtophan. This compound reduces the appetite, and thus, helps to control your diet. So, if you are aiming at shedding a few kilos, consuming finger millet can be of great help. It is specially recommended to kids, as the millet is rich in calcium, and therefore helps in proper growth and development. Being a rich source of iron, finger millet is good for all those suffering from anaemia. The millet helps to raise the haemoglobin level. It helps to fight malnutrition and degenerative diseases. It also works well as an anti-ageing agent.
Source : Scientific India ( http://www.scind.org/1/Health/wonderful-finger-millet!!-amazing-nutritional-value-to-keep-you-healthy%E2%80%A6.html )
- Dosa Batter – 2 cups
- Ragi Flour – 1 cup
- Salt as required
- mix dosa batter and ragi flour nicely to avoid forming lumps.
- take dosa pan and make dosas like normally. you can refer to my other post ( Pesarattu / Green Gram Dosa )
- yummy ragi dosa is ready 🙂 this is an excellent food to diabetics as well.
Ragi Idli is a very healthy food to diabetics, people with low hemoglobin and for all age groups as well, including kids. It’s a great source of fiber as well.
- Urad Dal – 50 grams
- Idli Rava – 100 grams
- Ragi Flour – 50 grams
- Salt – as required
- Curd – 2 spoons
- Soak Urad Dal for 4-5 hours and grind into a batter of soft consistent paste. add water to make sure, batter won’t become too hard.
- wash idli rava and press it hard to remove excess water.
- now, mix idli rava, ragi flour and little salt to the urad dal batter and mix nicely.
- the batter should be soft and not so thick and watery, keep mixing ingredients accordingly.
- leave this batter overnight to ferment nicely.
- now, take idli making trays and apply oil on them.
- pour the batter on it and allow idlis to steam cook for sometime.
- serve hot with sambar or ground nut chutney.
- healthy nutrient rich breakfast is ready to start your day !!! 😉
This is a traditional recipe made during Ganesh chaturdhi. It is known as panasa kudumulu in Andhra Pradesh and Khotto in Karnataka.
Idli batter is steam cooked in jackfruit leaves, which gives a unique flavor to idlis.
- Fresh Jack fruit Leaves
- new broom stick pieces or tooth picks
- Idli batter
- wash the jack fruit leaves nicely and wipe with dry cloth.
- now, take 4 leaves and keep all ends with stem on out side and arrange as plus sign.
- now, put a tooth pick piece so that all 4 stay together.
- now, join the 4 on sides to make it like a basket.
- you can refer the following youtube video on how to make them.
- How to make Jackfruit basket for Idli
- now, pour idli batter in the basket and steam cook like normal idli.
- Once cooked, all them to cool slightly and eat with coconut chutney or sambar.
- yummy idli in jackfruit leaves is ready 😉
How to prepare Vada :
- Urad Dal
- Green Chillis
- soak urad dal overnight and grind it in the morning with little water.
- now, mix salt, chopped onions and green chillis and mix nicely.
- take handful of batter and make it in round shape and deep fry in hot oil . This is the important step, so requires practice 🙂
- Vadas are ready.
How to prepare Chicken Gravy :
- Chicken – 500 grams
- Ginger Garlic paste
- Chicken Masala
- Chilli powder
- wash and cut chicken pieces nicely.
- marinate the chicken pieces in curd, ginger garlic paste, salt,chilli powder and keep aside.
- now, cut onions, tomato and cashew into pieces and make it to a paste in mixer grinder.
- prepare Tadka ( How to prepare Tadka (పోపు) ) and pour oil and the onion tomato paste, fry until it becomes golden brown.
- now,put the chicken pieces and cook on low flame for 10 minutes.
- now,add water as required for gravy and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Yummy Chicken Curry is ready 🙂
Vada and Chicken Curry makes a great combination 🙂