Various spices are fried in oil and mixed with recipes, to give a traditional authentic Indian flavor.
The kind of spices added changes with the recipe, but the process is same.
It is known as popu in Andhra Pradesh, India.
- take oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom,cinnamon,cloves, yellow lentils, green gram, red chilli.
- allow them to pop and turn a bit brownish/roast.
- be careful, not to burn them.
- The entire tadka making process completes in less than a minute.
- if you’re making biryani, you can add bay leaf(biryani leaf ), mace, fennel seeds etc, in addition.
Spices names in English and their Telugu Words :
|Mace||Japathri, Jajikaya Pathri|
|Star anise||Anasa puvvu|
|Dried Kapok buds||Marathi Mogga|